The drying of cereals is a process known since ancient times which, over the decades, has experienced evolutions and changes. The grain drying treatment, which proved indispensable, is still carried out today, in several and different ways. If done effectively, this process can deliver important benefits to farmers and farms. But in what way? And what advantages are we talking about, exactly? In this article, Mecmar helps you to clarify the subject, highlights the 5 main advantages of grain drying that you should consider for your business.
What are the advantages of grain drying?
In the article “Drying grain with aeration and heat: discover how it works”, we have seen the grain drying process in detail, explaining how it takes place. In this article, however, we will see the benefits that this process ensures.
The grain drying treatment, whether it is carried out naturally or artificially, plays a fundamental role in the marketing of the product. However, the greatest advantages occur when the process is carried out with specific and advanced drying systems, such as mobile grain dryers and tower dryers.
Grain dryers of first generation were unlikely to adapt to hostile climatic conditions, with the result that drying was often not effective. Today, however, the most technologically advanced grain dryers can optimally satisfy any drying requirement, even with high humidity levels (i.e. 35%) and in environments with very low temperatures and less favourable conditions.
The main advantages of grain drying with these systems are:
- Safer storage – By reducing the moisture content in the grains, the possibility of degradation or germination of the cereal is eliminated: therefore, it can be stored even for long periods in a safe manner maintaining the quality of the product.
- Less molds and/or aflatoxins – The reduced water content also makes it possible to eliminate the risk of the onset of harmful agents such as molds or aflatoxins, which can damage the cereal and also represent a danger to human and animal health.
- Less waste – Grain drying, eliminating the risks associated with the possible deterioration of the product, allows to significantly reduce the losses associated with numerous movements of the product, exposure to theft, birds and rodents: the greatest part of the harvested product will then be marketed, without significant losses;
- More productivity and quality – Grain drying through a dryer allows to speed up the process, allowing greater flexibility and an increase in productivity: in a few hours it is possible to dry many tons of product, a process that would require several days with the traditional method. Owning a dryer means being independent in the treatment, which can be performed at any time and keeping the parameters that affect drying under control. Also, by eliminating the risks associated with product degradation, even the quality remains at best.
- More value and profits – The flexibility gained by the farmer, combined with the benefit of greater security regarding the conservation and quality of the harvested cereals, offer the opportunity to sell the product at a higher price, following the most favourable periods for putting it on the market. In this way, profits also increase and they are maximized.
The advantages of grain drying are important and decisive for the success of a farm, especially if carried out with systems specifically designed for this purpose, such as grain dryers. To mention the 5 main benefits that can be obtained, we have: greater safety for storage, elimination of the onset of molds and aflatoxins, reduction of waste, higher product quality and productivity, increase and maximization of profits.
Mecmar has been a specialist in the production of grain dryers for decades and always pursues innovation and constant improvement. If you want to discover the advantages of grain drying directly, contact us: our team of experts is at your disposal to help you find the right solution for your needs.